Annunciation’s musical life has five major components:
- The singing of the congregation and ministers, principally through the dialogues/responses, the Ordinary, and the rich repertoire of Christian hymnody. Please see this page for practice materials that you can use to further this first and most important part of our parish’s music!
- Choral singing, especially as fostered by our parish choirs, and other choral ensembles.
- Teaching the Church’s great sacred music tradition to initiates: children as well as adults.
- Fostering instrumental music in the service of the Church, especially through the parish’s historic 1924 Pilcher organ.
- Opening our parish to the broader community through paraliturgical musical services and concerts.
The rich acoustics of Annunciation’s church, Houston’s oldest house of worship in continuous use and one of the downtown area’s “jewels”, contribute immeasurably to the success of all of the above endeavors. No less appealing is the church’s beautiful interior, adorned with stained-glass windows, statuary, and more.
Through these gifts, we seek constantly to deepen our parish’s relationship with Jesus Christ and to live his Great Commission, proclaiming the Good News in the heart of one of our country’s greatest cities.